When the holidays draw near, what’s the first thing you think of? For me, it’s all the delicious food being made in the kitchen to be served to my loved ones. The dessert table is always the main attraction. I’m always trying to come up with creative ways to hack our favorite holiday recipes, and this year I’ve hacked my own favorite dessert – Tres Leches. This Strawberry Tres Leches Cupcakes recipe is going to be a sure fire hit at any dessert table this holiday season. It’s fun and easy, and the kids can help too!
Holiday Hack Recipes and Family Holiday Traditions
Also known as the pan tres leches or three milks bread is basically a cake soaked in three kinds of milk. Recipes vary and some call for a sponge cake, others a butter cake. Also the milks used can also vary, but always contains sweet condensed milk. Recipes for the Tres Leches cake first appeared on the Nestlé Le Lechera condensed milk can labels in the 1940s and is very popular throughout Latin America. You can find the Tres Leches cake on just about any menu at a Latin restaurant. Most recipes call for evaporated milk, sweet condensed milk and heavy cream. I like to use coconut milk in place of the heavy cream for added flavor. The one ingredient I never tinker with is the La Lechera Sweet Condensed Milk – a real Tres Leches cake just can’t be made without it!
Strawberry Tres Leches Cupcakes Recipe
The girls love strawberries, and they love cupcakes, so I decided to hack this holiday favorite and whip up this batch of delicious Strawberry Tres Leches Cupcakes recipe to share with you too! It’s super easy and takes practically no time at all. My go to for recipes that call for sugar and milk is the NESTLÉ® La Lechera Sweetened Condensed Milk. The 14 oz. can is just the right size for most recipes, including a few licks of the spoon while prepping. Here’s what you’ll need to bring a new tradition int your kitchen with your children that is guaranteed to create unforgettable bonding moments.
Ingredients (all can be found at Walmart)
– 1 box (15.25 ounces) white cake mix
– 1 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
– 1/2 cup NESTLÉ LA LECHERA Sweetened Condensed Milk
– 1/4 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Fat Free Milk
– 1/2 cup coconut milk
– Whipped Cream in a bottle or Icing in a bottle
– Sliced strawberries for garnish
– Silver sprinkles
– Coconut flakes
Finding La Lechera at Walmart was as easy as finding the baking aisle. Everything I needed was all in one place, making my life easier with just once stop. I always grab an extra can of La Lechera Sweet Condensed Milk to keep stocked in the cabinet. There are many items I tend to buy under the store label, but not when it comes to my sweet condensed milk because I know that La Lechera always provides consistent quality. Competitively priced at Walmart at just $1.47-$1.58 (depending on location), there are so many uses for it around the kitchen. Did you know that Dulce de Leche comes from cooking Sweet Condensed Milk? Learn more about La Lechera Sweetened condensed milk and get inspired by other La Lechera recipes.
– Cupcakes – prepare as instructed on the box, then fold in chopped strawberries
– Cool for 5 minutes before using a wooden skewer to poke holes into the cupcakes
– In the meantime, prepare your Tres Leches sauce
– Sauce – combine La Lechera Sweet Condensed Milk, evaporated milk and coconut milk into a large bowl and stir
– Spoon sauce over each cupcake, top with whipped topping or icing.
– Garnish with strawberries, sprinkles and coconut flakes
– Drizzle excess sauce lightly over each strawberry.
Just one cupcake can satisfy any sweet craving. For the little ones, you can even turn this easy recipe into 48 mini cupcakes to send to school for the entire class to enjoy! Send copies of the Strawberry Tres Leches Cupcakes recipe too.
This holiday season don’t forget to stop by Walmart to purchase La Lechera sweet condensed milk for your holiday recipes! Be sure to share your favorite holiday recipes and sweet hacks, along with my Strawberry Tres Leches Cupcakes recipe using #unidosconlalechera or #unidoslalechera on social media.
Tres Leches is a favorite holiday dessert in our home. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
- 1 box (15.25 ounces) white cake mix
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup NESTLÉ LA LECHERA Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/4 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Fat Free Milk
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Whipped Cream in a bottle or Icing in a bottle
- Sliced strawberries for garnish
- Silver sprinkles
- Coconut flakes
- PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Line cupcake tins with 24 paper liners.
- PREPARE cake mix according to package directions using egg whites; fold in chopped strawberries. Spoon into paper liners, filling 2/3 full.
- BAKE for 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- POKE holes in cupcakes with wooden skewer.
- COMBINE sweetened condensed milk, coconut milk and evaporated milk in a large bowl; stir well.
- SPOON about 1 teaspoon tres leches sauce over each cupcake. After sauce soaks in, top with whipped cream or icing.
- GARNISH with sliced strawberries, sprinkles and coconut flakes.
- DRIZZLE with leftover tres leches sauce.
- Toast the coconut flakes for extra crisp in each bite!